Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Power of 2.8



Well, I'm ashamed to admit it ... but I totally cracked.  I've been waiting for the 5D Mark III to come out for more than a year now but I just couldn't justify the expense.  This past Christmas the 5D III was reduced about $400 and the other lens I was drooling over was reduced $200.  My self restraint still prevailed though.  I was willing to wait another year and continue shooting with my 40D until ... they threw in an extra battery, camera bag and memory card.  I just couldn't take it any more.  I jumped on it, and I'm glad I did.  The images from this post were taken with my new camera/lens combination.

Today I wanted to share a child's environmental portrait that I took on Christmas day of my exhausted nephew (uh, I mean Spider-Man) taking a break on the bench as his father continued to play with his twin brother in the background.  I shot this image using the new Canon 24-70 f2.8l II at 70mm f2.8.  Shooting at f2.8 caused the focus to fall off quickly behind and in front of what I chose to focus on.  I then used the back button method and focused on Spider-Man with the intention of burring out the background and took the shot.

Since your eye tends to be drawn to the brightest, most in-focus part of the image first you will probably find yourself initially looking at Spider-Man and then continuing to explore the bench.  Finally, you will notice the two people in the background and the rest of this image.  F2.8 does a lot more than just blurring the background.  It empowers you with a creative tool to deliver a story and direct the viewer's eye.  I hoping this image delivers that story.

You can see more of the images on my website, under the portrait tab.

Comments, questions and constructive criticism welcome below ... as always.

No comments: