Sunday, January 27, 2013

Chasing Trams



Yep, I've been known to almost be run over by a tram or two.  Mostly due to looking through the lens too long ... and who knew that a tram's "horn" was a little cheery bell, huh?  Not much of a warning before they actually run you down.

Today I took a walk downtown and went for some shots of Sofia's trams.  Part of it was inspired by Dola, who wanted a shot of her tram 10, but I also find myself fascinated by the public transportation system in Bulgaria.  Considering the local economic situation, the system is well maintained, efficient and timely.  It really is the way to get around the city if need be.

The pictures in this post were taken with the 70-200mm f4.0L and the 17-40 f4.0L.  I've been waiting to get my hands on a full frame camera and I was excited to see what the 17mm end of the range would offer me.  As you can see by some of the photos below, the 17mm focal length distorts buildings to make them appear to have walls that slant together as they approach the sky.  Some true architectural photographers don't like the look, but I feel like it gives you a sense of location and space and provides a view that not everyone has seen.

The photos taken with the 70-200mm will show less distortion (as seen below).




While the photos taken at 17mm will appear as below.  I have found that the 17-40mm f4.0L shines most brightly at f8.0 and above so most of these photos were taken in that range.  Below this f-stop the lens tends to produce quite soft and unpleasing images.  Enjoy!




No comments: