Sunday, May 13, 2012

Rila Monastery Hike



Saturday was spent visiting a beautiful and popular location 2 hours outside of Sofia.  The Rila Monastery is the self described Jerusalem of Bulgaria.  Founded in the 10th century by the hermit Ivan Rilsky, the monastery is a poignant reminder of the connection of the Bulgarian ethos to the natural environment.  For more information on the Rila Moastery, click HERE.


The pictures contained in this post were taken all using available like and a 17-40mm f4.0L lens.  I concentrated on keeping the histogram "between the goal posts" and bringing up shadows in post.  The bad picture of a waterfall was a 10 second experiment that I conducted on a trail that we hiked just outside of the entrance to the monastery.  I have always been slightly curious as to how people blur waterfalls so I set my camera on a rock, dialed the ISO down to 100 and the aperture to f22.0.  I put the camera in Av mode and took the shot.  It was approximately and 0.5 second exposure and the water seemed to show the beginnings of a soft, smooth flow.  Because we were hiking, I continued on but the photographer in me wanted to spend the next 3 hours at that sport experimenting with different angles and exposures.  I'll try again next time.
  




No comments: