Saturday, April 21, 2012

April Snow Storms Bring May Ski Touring



Kalina was nice enough to tolerate my incredible lack of physical fitness on yet another alpine experience in Bulgaria.  The transition between the warm waters of the Red Sea and the a mountain peak just outside of Govadartsi near Borovets was a shock at first, but I was ultimately ecstatic that I managed to lug my camera up the slope and take some shots of the experience.

We left school Friday after school and hiked up the first, less snowy, portion of the mountain in our ski boots with our skis strapped to our backpacks.  Eventually, the snow-cover allowed us to ski tour the final portion of our trip.  We spent the night in a hut on the mountain and woke up bright and early the next day to tackle the peak that lay ahead.  The weather of the day alternated between beautiful blue skies, ominous clouds and torrential snowfall.  It looks like we are going to be able to ski tour late into the season this year in Bulgaria.


The photos below were taken with a combination of the 17-40mm lens and the 70-200mm.  It was all available light in Av mode and I used AI servo to help me track the skiers as they came towards me.  The sand from our Egypt visit caused a great deal of pain as I could not get the camera to fire when I wanted it to but I think I manage to snap a few good ones.  I have to admit, there is something to be said for a little uphill exercise after work.  Enjoy the photos!








1 comment:

sara said...

Amazing photos, guys! I wish I was there skiing too :)

Greets,
Holiday Rentals Saas Fee