Monday, March 26, 2012

Sometimes you just can't see the mountains for the swans ...



The past week was an adventure.  Work transported me from Sofia to a small town called Vevey just outside of Geneva, Switzerland for the past 9 days.  Although the nature of the work I was doing there required me to put in a few 12 hour days, I managed to sneak out the night before it all started and snap a few of these photos.  I am quite happy with the result.  A few new techniques coupled with the power of Lightroom 4 has really helped improve my landscapes.
The mountain/lake pictures were taken up at the northern end of Lake Geneva.  It was a picturesque area that was dotted with swans and brushed with beautiful sunsets.  I attempted to use my 17-40mm at f8.0 in order to get the maximum depth of field and take full advantage the image quality at that aperture.  Processing in Lightroom helped me boost the clarity and pull out some of the detail.
The pictures of chess and people were taken last weekend, when my work was complete, in Geneva.  Geneva is a calm, tranquil city that invites anyone who visits to pull up a chair, sit on the dock near the lake and read a book.  I visited the flea market, the waterfront and the biggest church in the city.  Huge chess boards exist at the base of the old town and I was lucky enough to run into some people that were more involved in playing chess than watching the nutty foreigner lay on the ground and take pictures.  In these photos, I tried to open up the aperture and play with depth of field.  I was trying to initially draw the eye to the item in focus and then force it to explore the rest of the photo.  The photos of  people were taken at at the flea market in Geneva.  Bargain hunters are always an eclectic and interesting group.
In any case, enjoy the photos and visit Geneva if you get a chance.  It won't disappoint!




    




  


  


   

No comments: