Saturday, February 4, 2012

Protests, Transportation and Higher Education



A four hour Saturday walk about resulted in some interesting images.  I left the house with the intention of getting some images of the local transportation vehicles.  Since my arrival in Sofia, I've been fascinated by the huge metal giants that patrol the streets of Sofia.  The image above was processed using Lightroom by reducing the vibrancy, increasing the saturation and pumping up the clarity a touch.  Although it looks a little too processed for my taste, I ended up enjoying working on it and decided to post it.

Along the way, I managed to bump into a small protest just off of Vasil Nevski.  One protester explained to me that the gathering was organized to show opposition towards the new industrial developments happening in some of the forested areas around Sofia.  It turns out that a well known banker is applying to tear down a large chunk of the forest and replace it with malls, stores and restaurants.  The Sofians you see below were there protesting against the development.

The final stop on my walk through the city brought me to a subway entrance.  I thought it would be a fun exercise capturing some of the people entering and exiting the subway.  This attempt was less productive than I hoped it would be but it was still a fun exercise.  Enjoy the photos and as always, feel free to leave comments below.

Protester at work
  

A colorful cellist 

University library

Guard station left over from the communist days when people's movement around the city would be recorded
(now vandalized and resting in the shadows of a MacDonald's sign).

A busy subway entrance where vendors of all types sell their wares.
  
An exiting subway goer.
  

No comments: