Sunday, January 22, 2012

Portrait Practice



















A Sunday night full of food, friends and good conversation is always the way to go.  Elise and I went over to a friend's house to take some photos of a family that is growing by the second.  Not only have they adopted a new baby, but Mike is enjoying a visit from his sister.  They were generous enough to let me pull out some gear and practice on them.

Usually, the baby steals the show in these situations ... you know being all cute and cuddly and smelling so good.  Not this time.  Mike's insatiably desire to be in front of the camera came roaring out as he struck pose after pose in front of the hot, pulsing flashes.  Each burst of light seemed to give him more and more energy as he methodically worked the camera like a pro.  It was a display of pure talent.  Mike the muse ... it has a certain ring to it.

For these photos, I used two speedlights.  One was shot through a translucent umbrella (camera right) and a silver reflector was placed just out of frame (camera left) to create a bit of fill.  The second speedlight was set behind the subjects and pointed towards the wall behind them.  Originally, the photo below had a grey background.  I decided to play around with it and see what I could do to add some colour.  I have posted the process to Youtube as a short tutorial.  You can see it in the video below.  I'm going to try and post more production tips for beginner Photoshopers in the future.  Please let me know if you find them useful!





No comments: