Sunday, November 6, 2011

Fortissimo Fest 2011 - Roma Rhythms



Simple.  The highlight of Fortissimo Fest 2011 to date.  This unique blend of Cuban rhythm and Dixie Land showmanship coupled with a splash of accordion jazz made for one of the highlights of Fortissimo Fest.  Romaneno performed their unique brand of music to standing room only audience at the Sofia Live Club last night.  The popularity of the band and their music became increasing evident as the performance time grew near.  People slowly filtered into the venue until seating was full, audience members were peaking around poles, sitting on end tables and relaxing on the steps in front of the stage.  None of them were disappointed.  This is an excellent band that is a must see if they are neck of the woods.  You can check out the band's profile and music here and here if you are interested.

I was personally unaware of the plight of the Roma people until moving to Europe.  More information about the Roma can be found here.  The discrimination and racism that they are subjected to can be quite harsh.  Some would justify this treatment by providing information about thefts and other illegitimate acts the that they have conducted.  I see this as a bit of a chicken and egg argument as the racism and prejudiced seems to have oppressed the Roma to a point where they have no real option for legitimate income.  In any case, it was wonderful to see such a large crowd turn out to see such talented musicians, despite their ethnic background.

After shooting Guitar Trio last night, I decided to take a different approach to this shoot.  I continued to use the high ISO values with a wide open aperture but this time I used some different processing techniques.  I was aided by the fact that the lead signer was wearing a white shirt.  This helped me use the RAW file data to obtain a more accurate white balance for the photos.  I also decided to experiment with different tonal curves.  This has opened up a whole new world of processing for me.  As I continue this blog experiment, I am considering creating some videos on my processing techniques in the hopes that people will comment and help me along in this visual journey.  Stay tuned as I hope to include some short videos in upcoming posts.


No comments: