Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Communist Fall



Beside the obvious play on words, I have been searching for a way to inject colour into the urban landscape of Sofia.  Since my arrival, I have noticed that Bulgaria is a stark contrast of natural beauty and square, grey, suburban communist architecture.  Although the city center is a collection of impressive cultural structures, I sometimes feel trapped by the contoured liquid rock that forms the buildings within which I work and roads on which I travel.  The mountains, parks and countryside provide a convenient escape when the rigid grey walls seem to creep in.

This is image is less a photography, and more a representation of the diverse city of Sofia.  The bottom layer of this image is an HDR photo of Boris Gardens in Sofia while the top layer is a black and white photo of one of the many buildings found here in Sofia.  The two photos were merged using Photoshop.

2 comments:

vilekula said...

Let's go to Buzludja together some day! Svetla

Damon Rickett said...

I'll do it for sure! It looks amazing. Check this out. Can we get in?

http://www.insanetwist.com/2011/11/abandoned-communist-monument-in.html